Thursday, August 13, 2026

Camp day four

What's the best strategy for a foggy day? Do nothing and wait for the fog to lift. Of course, the "do nothing" is not always possible. Indeed, oftentimes, the demands on you are the greatest on the most shrouded in fog days.

I wake up to fog. I walk the pup in fog.



Yes, the kind that hides the wetlands and the farmette acres. The kind that makes for a very damp morning walk. The kind that wraps itself around your brain so that you have to go on autopilot and hope that the self-driving mechanism is going to get you through this month, this week, this hour. I do not have the luxury of waiting until the fog lifts. I move forward.

This day is slated to be the most challenging for Primrose because it has no cousins in it. It's like going to a real camp and being stuck in the infirmary for the day while your friends are elsewhere having fun. Okay, perhaps not quite that bad since I am not a nurse person who dishes out medicine, but still, it's a little too quiet after the happy chaos of yesterday. On the upside, for being a barky dog, Millie likes quiet.

Primrose and I eat breakfast and chat about the unfairnesses in life. I always like it when the grandkids weigh in on these because suddenly everything appears to be so much less complicated and easy to handle. In the adult world, some unfairnesses seem so great that they can overwhelm you, or so stupid that you just want to punch the person in the gut for daring to complain about them. In the kid world, it's all very logical and manageable. Yes, life is unfair, but here's what you might try, to make it more bearable.

 


Primrose is doing some activity on her tablet while I get the house organized and get Ed to pick-axe one more hole. 



I like to think that someday I will finish putting in the four remaining roses and the holes will be ready when that moment comes. 

And here's a good outcome: Millie is a relaxed pup today. When I let her out in the backyard, she and Primrose play a rousing game of fetch and it is quite grand to see my pup with the zoomies again...





And to see Primrose laughing at Millie's antics.

 




And while they are doing this, I put in a rose! This is so therapeutic for me! Total satisfaction. Only three more to go!

 

In the late morning we take Millie to doggie daycare, just to give us freedom to come and go, since Millie's "stay home alone" training has been put on hold this week. Daycare is without surprises for her. The stability is invaluable right now.

I offer several options for Primrose, none of them spectacular. It's drizzling on and off so outdoor activities are not doable. We mull this over during lunch at Barriques -- a coffee shop I so often stopped at during my grandkid school pickups. 

She wants to save everything from when the cousins rejoin us.

We go home, She paints. 



Maybe I should paint. It looks so relaxing. 

I watch her and wonder what's on the agenda for me for next school year. Right now  I truly am in a fog about what's what. In other words, I have no idea what I'll be doing tomorrow, Saturday, Sunday, to say nothing of August, September, October.  This isn't me being flighty. This is not knowing what lies beyond the fog. I have stabilized here in Steffi's House. Unfortunately, that's me, that's not the rest of the world. I have stopped my dizzying moves and boom! My friend gets sick and everything changes. Funny how that works.

The good thing is that I am okay at being two people at once. A foggy brain doesn't mean I cannot move away from that and become someone else. To the kids, I am as always. I am sure they see no difference in me at all. The fogged up cluttered me makes no appearances. It comes out once everyone is tucked in in bed. 

 

Primrose and I do Culver's takeout. That's pretty low, I know, but I'll be cooking later in the week so we may as well indulge her craving for food from this very Wisconsin chain. Besides, I have to pick up Millie before 6. It's too early to fit in a meal before that.



Evening: the girl's last one alone with me. Tomorrow her sister joins her here. Primrose will love having her company, of that I am sure.

with so much love... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.