Saturday, August 15, 2026

Camp day six with parental presence

We are sitting around the breakfast table -- Primrose, Juniper and I -- and somehow the topic of families comes up. If you ever talk to kids about their future family plans, you'll find them to have very strong views as to what they see on the horizon for themselves. Snowdrop has it down to the breed of dog that should be in her adult household and the house where this should happen. This morning though, I learn what Juniper is thinking. She tells us with confidence: I just want one kid when I grow up. This begs the question -- why one. Because it's easier with just one. Now, Juniper is just four years old and I never met a kid her age weighing options based on facility of implementation. In fact, most are convinced that the impossible is perfect for them (as in loads of children and pets, a huge house, a demanding job, vacation homes, and lots of free time to do everything that you cant do as a kid). But Juniper is insistent. In fact, she's thinking of maybe scratching the husband from the picture too. Just her and one kid. Primrose protests -- you need a guy to make the baby. She is unfazed. I can ask someone to do that for me! I insert a scientific fact: true, I say. It doesn't take much time and effort to make a baby. Juniper beams and reaches for another peach slice. 

 


 

*     *     * 

I went to my first sleep-away camp when I was 8 years old. It was the full monty: two months. I liked it quite a bit. (My older sister, who was in another cabin, did not -- she begged to go home. My parents had her stay anyway.) I didn't miss my parents because I was used to being without them. The first three years of my life were with my grandparents. Ever summer thereafter was with them as well. Camp was another version of a summer without mom and dad. 

Most camps that last the whole summer have a midsummer parental visitation day. I dont know that it is helpful to those who dont miss home. Everything shifts. Your authority figures are suddenly there with you even as you are fully ensconced in camp routines, with camp counselors. I know my parents had been vacationing, just the two of them, in Cape Cod (the camp was in Massachusetts), so of course they popped in for the day. It felt awkward.

I was thinking of this today because Camp Grandma isn't exactly over, but my daughter and her husband are in town (albeit last night they stayed in a hotel) and so there is a definite shift in scheduling and in authority. Both belong to them now. I explained this to my grandgirls as they settled into a morning of Grandma Camp leisure. Hurry up and get dressed, we're to meet up with your parents in fifteen minutes! They do, but leisurely. While checking out something on a tablet.



But their joy at seeing mom and dad once we all met up on the Square was delightful to watch.  We did a spin around the Square (for the farmers market) and I bought my first downtown flower bouquet of the year. (Last year, I picked one up every week. How things change...)

(Door County peaches!)


 

 

(snack time)


 

 

(market flowers)


 

 

*     *     * 

When my older girl said some time ago that she would be having a garage sale (next weekend), I groaned. I did one when I was getting a divorce. It was hellishly difficult. I survived only because two neighbors helped with the set up. Never again!

Still, she was determined and honestly, everyone should get rid of old stuff every once in a while, so I shrugged and forgot about it.

But the time for it is fast approaching and the girl clearly needs help. Her sister has been working tirelessly at sort through potential sale items, dusting them off, arranging things more attractively. Today I joined in the effort (it was 100F/38C in there!) while the five cousins played.



Brutal, I tell you. 

*     *     *

In the evening the parents of my camper and part-time camper sister brought in a pizza, we watched a movie, we talked. 

(I supplied Stoneman's corn. Juniper ate two ears and would have had a third had it been offered)


 

 

(campers, so happy to be with beloved mommy)


 

 

I was the counselor who had the evening off with the kids. No need to make sure they brushed their teeth and turned out the light on time. 

Such a lovely evening. Despite everything. And there is that everything still hanging over me, but still, despite it all -- such a lovely evening.

with so much love... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.