Saturday, September 19, 2026

flooded

Yesterday, I called it quits just before midnight. I noted I had 33 roses to plant (and five miscellaneous tiny perennial cuttings that are so petite that they dont even count). About a half dozen were waiting for me on the porch. The holes are dug for all but nine. Saturday is a great day for gardening! Better get some rest in preparation for it.

I took Millie out for her last bathroom run. All was quiet outside, although the wind had picked up considerably. We came back in and literally one minute later the skies exploded -- with thunder and pelting rain that was so loud that you could have mistaken it for a subway pulling into the station in NYC Well, close to it. Millie was no more no less scared than she typically is when strange noises rattle her. But it was clear neither of us would fall asleep until this band of storms passed. We snuggled in bed together waiting, eventually me reading and she staring out the window at the unexpected flashes. 

This morning was the first time that I felt no rush to get up and neither did she. We lazed in bed until just before 8 -- that has to be some kind of a milestone for my girl! 

 

The torrential rain caused flooding in parts of Madison and I went outside with trepidation: how would by newly planted roses fare?

A quick scouting of the yard revealed minimal damage, although many of the dug out holes waiting for the roses were completely waterlogged. 

We got a lot of rain! Many inches of it. The question is, of course, how much more will come our way? Right now, I think the roses are okay. But another torrent of rain could do some major damage. 

Breakfast, after I towel-dried Millie.



Afterwards, I prepped the boxed and potted roses for their move to the garden, but after Millie retired for her morning nap, I saw that I could do very little out in the garden.  Mud, standing water -- foes of a person who wants to plant. One modest success: I put two roses into holes that were relatively dry. The rain had paused, but it wasn't a long pause. By the time I was tidying up my second rose, the light rain didn't feel so light at all. I was soaked. 

My goal had been to do a lot of outdoor work today. That did not happen. I did a little. 31 more to plant. When it stops raining and when the water drains. I will say this: the window for purchasing new plants has closed. But planting? It doesn't end with the roses. I seem to have ordered spring bulbs early in the summer. In bulk, for a total of 146 of daffodils, tulips, crocuses, bluebells. What was I thinking?? I can only hope for good weather in October!

This was my day then: a pause in the rain has me out removing sod. Walking Millie, surveying the landscape. A drizzle and I ignore it. A steady rain and I'm inside, drying off myself, my pup -- until there is a pause in the rain again and I continue. Start stop, start stop. 

 (wet me, wet Millie)


 

 

(Millie, you need a serious brushing out after you dry! there, that's better...)


 

 

But I cannot say I dont enjoy it. I'm finally nearing the completion of my rose project. It's exciting to have gone through it all -- from a very modest start (just six roses along the fence line), to something much more ambitious. 

I cant wait until spring!

with so much love... 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.