The Great Rose Project is finished. (When I said this to my daughter, she laughed, noting that I often said "just six more" and then the next day amended it to "just eight more.") Truly though, it's done. I dug out and replanted a rose, I put in one last new one that needed to go in, I upped the soil and chips on some, and I watered them all. Ninety roses -- half of them in my side rose garden...
(partial view)

The rest? Planted throughout, especially in and around Millie's yard.
They should be set.
But here's the rub: my gardening work isn't done. Yes, there are the bulbs, waiting for my unenthusiastic planting. And I did not really think about this in years past -- I just ignored the garden after August/September -- but in fact, all the roses AND the perennials should be watered until several hard frosts freeze the soil. So, until the end of November. Not in great quantities, like in the summer, but sufficiently to keep the roots and soil moist. Wet soil, when frozen, is apparently warmer than dry soil. (My flowers at the farmette and in earlier gardens never complained when I stopped watering after August. But I should have helped them along with a good soak every now and then.)
(I've loved this combination of lavender and phlox right below the porch balcony.)
Too, I will have to rake up the rose leaves once they fall, and I will have to mulch, but I cannot do that until after the deep freeze. Them's the rules!
So, done indeed, even if only with respect to the planning and planting. Now I just help things along, to keep everyone of them strong, healthy, and happy (synonymous concepts for roses). Sort of like fixing fruit bowls each day for the grandkids and encouraging them to pick good books to read at the bookstore or library. They do the rest.
The day is insanely busy for me, and Millie has a bit of an upset tummy, but the noticeable thing about this October 10th, 2026 is that it is hot here, in south central Wisconsin. Shorts weather indeed! 84F/29C. And no, we haven't had even a light frost yet, which is good for my new plantings, though I don't know about the rest of the flora and fauna -- they expect cold. They're not getting it.
Breakfast...

And then to work, while Millie rests. Actually, she is back to complaining when I leave her alone in the crate. I do ignore her for about an hour, but she is persistent and so I find myself hurrying even more. Toward the end, I take her outside with me.
A happy pup!
And all this allows me to say by 2 p.m. "I am done!"
For afternoon errands, I want to take Millie with me. She does not like car rides, but I think she dislikes being left alone even more. Nonetheless she gives me a hard NO on a driving adventure, wedging herself in the crate instead. Too bad. I like having her with me.
In the late evening, after my supper of leftovers, I see that the last two perennials and bags of soil were delivered.
(what's in those boxes??)
I would truly need a flashlight to put these in now. I'll have to find a handful of minutes tomorrow, before it's time to leave.
Have I packed yet? Minimally. For once, I do not care what clothes are most suitable for my week away. I have a standard set of pants and tops that I always use for travel. In they go. I'll worry about the rest tomorrow. Or not worry at all. More important is what I stuff in for my downtime -- my rose notebook. It's still empty and arguably I should work on it when I have the beds before me, But I have sketches and lists and I'll take those too. My roses, or at least notes on roses, are taking their first vacation!
with lots of love...





No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.